« Home | strange things happen under a full moon. » | ok. so i wrote a long post without whining, writin... » | may » | church bells, writing my goodbyes Pt1. » | Vanity and pride are different things, though the ... » | sometimes, just sometimes the many forces of the w... » | the summer of me. » | spring cleaning » | i saw something special in her, i must have, she m... » | 12 / 17 pgs due yesterday0 / 20 pgs due friday0 / ... » 

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 

google confidence

google "confidence," or "confidence + building," and you will find countless websites that claim to instill confidence, be it through 6 steps spread out over 6 weeks, or hypnosis by audio-tape. some of the websites are very convincing; they could be described as confident. i signed up for the free 6 week program by e-mail after reading over the throngs of promotional baggage aimed to convince me that the training cd they are selling is the way to go.

so, i got my e-mail in an instant. it started out with congratulations from ronald i. somethingorrather, and gave me more promotional junk, and a website link to get my free promotional 6 week course to give me confidence, sans the ever-so-important hypnosis and meditation audio files that came with the full cd. guess what? NADA! or maybe it was so elusive that i had no idea how to get to it. but by that point, i had lost motivation, and you could also say the confidence, necessary to figure out how to learn that shit in the first place.

so i settled for an audiobook on meditation i had downloaded during one of my nights of massive and totally random downloading. it was pretty good, although not because it taught meditation, but because it helped curb my insomnia for that night.

googling made me realize that i am not the only one out there with a mild to severe lack of confidence. this community lacks confidence in the workplace, academia, the household, and the bedroom (or the journey there). a couple of questions come to mind: why the cowering in dark corners of a club and what can we do about it.

i believe the lack of confidence that keeps me writing job applications that i never submit is derived from the curse of habituation. because i do it so rarely, and everytime i don't receive anything back, i stop applying, i lose confidence in it. instead of developing a habit of persistance, i develop a habit of letting things pass. i can afford to do this because all my needs are provided for, and work is only a side project for me, at the moment.

this is not good. habits are definately hard to break. another example is when the staff at the registrar have been complete dickholes (or assholes, whatever sounds crasser) to me, and i continue the same habit of not going to submit my loan forms every semester until they start sending me payment forms. then i have to go thru the same process of calling them and mailing them the late forms, all in order to postpone going to the bastards at the registrar ( they are a little nicer these days).

as to a remedy, i am still working on that.

Oh Mel Chua, you should apply for jobs here!! I think it has been reported that you must submit at least 30 resumes in order to get ONE interview because the job market was so tight. We're in a boom right now so it might not be so hard to get an interview but it's still tough. Keep trying!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm M
  • From Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
eXTReMe Tracker